Books in Series

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu Jan 13 12:31:59 EST 2000

>>  Anne McCaffrey has lost the plot with Pern and is wringing every last
>> drop out of that world
>>
> I wish she could be declared Unfit and have custody taken from her.  I still
> think there's a lot of possibility to Pern.  What happened?  And I just came

Hear, hear!  I loved the first two trilogies; I quite enjoyed Moreta and
Nerilka, although I don't think they fit too well, but I failed to finish
Dragonsdawn, and now hardly ever read McCaffery :-(

>    "Andre Norton killed Witch World by dragging in other novels, like
> her Gryphon series."

I have stayed away from Witch World so far, having been unable to find the first
book in the series.  This is now on my books to read pile, so...

But more to the point, what is this "Gryphon" series?  I recently re-read "The
Crystal Gryphon", which was a childhood favourite (like Britta I remembered the
plot but not the title, so it was a pleasant rediscovery!) - are there more of
these?

(I am in the process of rediscovering much of the Norton I enjoyed when younger
- hence my voting for her in Nat's survey.)

>    "Regardless of your satisfaction with them, they are at least fresh
> and original. This is what attracted us to DWJ and it is what will keep us
> loyal."
>
>    When it comes to dwj, dwj knows best.  I'll have it her way.

Up to a point.  But some of her weakest books have been in trying to tie
together series: Crown of Dalemark being a case in point.  I am sure that even
sequels will be really good if DWJ writes them, but I can't help feeling that
something independent, set in the same world, would be better still.  (Drowned
Ammet and Spellcoats are quite independent of Cart and Cwidder, for example)

Castle in the air seems to be a half-way house.  It is almost but not quite
independent of HMC, so if you don't know who Sophie & co. are the ending seems
strange, and not worthy of the rest of the book.

Philip.

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

Nottingham, NG11 0EE, UK