Book Reviews

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Thu Jan 13 12:20:05 EST 2000

> Philip said:
>    "The other was "The Well at the World's End" by William Morris.
>> This is 700 pages of "heroic fantasy" with a medieval feel (written in the
>> 1890s BTW).  After the first few chapters, I actually got into the swing of
>> it and found it quite an easy read.  A few things worth noting though:
>> The landscape was nebulous.  I didn't get the feeling that there was a
>> real world there - it felt more like stage scenery.  In some ways the minor
>> characters were nebulous too."
>
>    Interesting.  I'll have a look for this one at my local library.  A
> story with the same title is in that English Faery Tales book I mentioned in
> the survey.  The one about the well with the heads in it and carrying water
> in a sieve? Similar?  In the Notes at the back, the authors wrote that

I don't think so.  The physical nature of the well in Morris is nothing special
- the emphasis is on the journey to get there, and how it changes the characters
etc.  (The change due to the _well_, OTOH, seems to be similar to that wrought
by going to Babylon in DS.)

Philip.

by those to whom it is addressed.

confirmation.