collated comments: favorite authors (LONG!)

Tarja Rainio tarja.rainio at helsinki.fi
Thu Jan 13 08:46:29 EST 2000

Hallie wrote on Tue, 11 Jan 2000 12:11:49 +0100

>>Martha Wells - Tarja
>>---Tarja: She is on my must-buy list though she has written only  a few
>>books (if I remember correctly, only four books this far). These are great
>>fantasy with memorable characters. I especially liked the Arsene
>>Lupin/Inspector Dupin pastiches in her latest work, The Death of a
>>Necromancer.
>
>Have you read _City of Bones_?  I absolutely loved that, right up until the
>end, which felt so abrupt I thought there must be a sequel planned, but saw
>no word of one at the time.  I longed to discuss it with someone. Did you
>feel this way at all?  Maybe that was me expecting too much of a wrap-up?

Yes, I've read, but it's been a few years. I just checked it last night and
have to say that the book needs rereading before I can answer your
question. At this point I can only remember a positive impression of it and
her work in general, but any particular details have completely vanished
from my mind =). My latest reread of her work was The Element of Fire which
I consider to be a very good first novel.

BTW, just finished reading Heyer's A Civil Contract yesterday and thought
to share with you, that I thought it an extremely well-thought out
depiction of an arranged marriage and how people in such a union could come
to respect and care for each other gradually without all the fireworks that
are associated with love-marriages.

Tarja