Book Reviews

McMullin, Elise emcmullin at kl.com
Wed Jan 12 19:28:01 EST 2000

Philip said:
	"The other was "The Well at the World's End" by William Morris.
> This is 700 pages of "heroic fantasy" with a medieval feel (written in the
> 1890s
> BTW).  After the first few chapters, I actually got into the swing of it
> and
> found it quite an easy read.  A few things worth noting though:
> The landscape was nebulous.  I didn't get the feeling that there was a
> real
> world there - it felt more like stage scenery.  In some ways the minor
> characters were nebulous too."

	Interesting.  I'll have a look for this one at my local library.  A
story with the same title is in that English Faery Tales book I mentioned in
the survey.  The one about the well with the heads in it and carrying water
in a sieve? Similar?  In the Notes at the back, the authors wrote that
another version was called "The Wolf at the World's End,"  which I really,
really love and actually wrote a poem (and not even a bad poem, which is so
often the case) with that title and taking off from that idea. And then I
was reading this book called Shadow and Evil in Fairy Tales (blanking on
author - one of those mid-century Jungians) and there was a really
interesting section about the Fenris Wolf destined(?) to destroy the world
in germanic(?) mythology which makes him the Wolf at the World's End.

	There's a hodgepodge of thoughts.

	But I think listpeople might like to have a look at that Shadow and
Evil in Fairy Tales book.  And there's a famous one by Bruno Bettelheim
about fairy tales too.  Of course I can't remember the name but ya can't
miss it ;)

	Elise