Parents reading...

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Wed Jan 12 15:47:51 EST 2000

Melissa wrote:

>I think in general people who learn to read early are more likely to have a
>fundamental love of reading, or to think of reading as a form of
>entertainment as opposed to a chore.  Now, why they're all reading DWJ I
>have no idea.  Good taste?  Seriously, most of the people I've known who are
>avid readers learned to read at least before entering school.

I was quite late reading - like many other latish readers, it mostly had to
do with enjoying being read to.  Luckily, I had a sensible teacher, who
told my parents I'd just start one day, which was exactly what happened.
And I was certainly avid, from then on.  One of my best times was when we
moved back to Ireland, and I couldn't get into the secondary school they
thought would take me (I was only 11, and you're supposed to be 12), and I
was out of school for about 3 weeks.  Every day I was allowed to walk over
to the local bookshop and buy something.  BLISS.  All those wonderful
Puffins...

I still read to my two every night. Becca decidedly gets the best deal, as
she writes on the computer while I read to Cara, and can listen selectively
as she chooses, and then gets her own time as well when Cara's in bed.
There truly is no justice in this world.

Hallie
hallieod at indigo.ie