Parents reading...

Wed Jan 12 13:06:48 EST 2000

>	Satu said:
>
>	"My parents used to read me books when I was little. But there was a
>> problem - they didn't spend nearly enough time, in my opinion, for doing
>> so. That was partly because my dad was then a travelling journalist and
>> partly because I was VERY fond of certain stories and wanted them reread
>> time and time again, and corrected them every time they tried to short cut
>> their way to the end..."

Lucky you.  My parents read to me a lot when I was very young, until I could
read to myself--then I ended up being the one who read to the younger
kids...and the kids at preschool...it was sort of like being an
exceptionally well-trained seal, in retrospect, or a mathematical genius.
And while everyone in my family is of above-average intelligence, I'm really
the only one where it manifested verbally.  My parents are not great readers
and certainly don't read for entertainment.  I'm looking forward to things
being much different for my kids.

>	"My father read all my favourite tales on tapes,
>> then, and expected me to be just as happy listening the stories in that
>> format, but it wasn't the same. (But I still have the tapes, about a dozen
>> of them)"

My mother-in-law has started doing this for the grandchildren.  Not their
favorite stories, but picture books that she thinks they will like.  And she
reads them as though she is sitting there commenting on funny things in the
pictures.  It's wonderful for our family, because the rest of Jacob's
siblings live in the same town as Grandma, so ours are the only kids who
don't see her regularly.  But it isn't to replace us reading to them.  I
agree that's just not the same.

>Elise wrote:

>	That's amazing.  There are a lot of very early readers on this list,
>aren't there?

I think in general people who learn to read early are more likely to have a
fundamental love of reading, or to think of reading as a form of
entertainment as opposed to a chore.  Now, why they're all reading DWJ I
have no idea.  Good taste?  Seriously, most of the people I've known who are
avid readers learned to read at least before entering school.

>Satu again:

>	"They told me I wasn't allowed to borrow more than four books/week
>from the library,
>> but that only caused me to read through all the books from THEIR
>> bookshelves... (They pretty soon lifted the ban...)"

Mwahahaha.  That'll show 'em, eh?  (I think our library had a fourteen-book
limit.  That was pretty good when I was in school.  But it also encouraged
my book-buying habit.)

>Elise:
>	Digressing - Most of it was even fun, though my soccer coach did not
>believe girls should play soccer (who commented on that in another topic?)
>and was always making his attitude manifest. He actually encouraged the boys
>to avoid passing to me and never let me be a forward, not to mention always
>saying things about how the team was doomed now that he was saddled with
>Useless Females.  Things have changed a lot in 20 years  :)

I played soccer too as a child.  My coach was my father.  He always managed
to get me and my two brothers on the same team and was a far more
egalitarian coach than many--made sure everyone got a chance to play,
regardless of ability.  We saw a number of teams where the coaches were
fixated on putting the best players in and sidelining the worse players.
Wanna know who kept winning the championship, year after year?

And our two best players were twin girls who were better at defense than
anyone I'd ever seen.

Melissa Proffitt