collated comments: favorite authors (LONG!)

Wed Jan 12 00:13:03 EST 2000

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 23:43:56 +0100 (CET), Irina Rempt wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Melissa Proffitt wrote:
>
>> my girls, who are almost-6 and 4 years old.
>
>So are mine! The twins' birthday is 2nd September, so they're almost
>four and a half, and Naomi will be 6 in two weeks and a day, on the
>26th.

Aerin turned four in November and Teleri's birthday is the Ides of March.
(We rejected my Shakespeare professor's suggestion that we name her Ida.)

>> Reading level is the only
>> way that the age difference between them shows up:  Aerin is just slightly
>> too young to sit still for certain books, while Teleri sucks up everything.
>
>I recognize that. They take turns choosing a book to read, and the
>little ones tend to choose either one story from a book of short
>stories or a picture book from the library, while Naomi wants "Pippi
>Longstocking" and more of it, and more of it!

Aerin *thinks* she can do everything Teleri does, so she plays along, but
loses interest in certain books.  She's not big on E. Nesbit and still
prefers picture books.

>In a few years they'll probably take turns
>choosing the book to read every night until finished - we don't
>intend to stop reading to them. After all, we still read to Naomi
>even if she's reading by herself now, voraciously, in good family
>tradition :-)

I like reading aloud to the kids.  Eventually we'll be able to make it a
family thing; right now Rhys gets to pick his own story, and the girls have
a different one, and they don't listen in on each other's bedtime reading.
Rhys is about 19 months old and loves to choose his own books--has a box of
them in his bedroom that belong to HIM and he knows it.  It's really hard to
resist a blond little cherub who comes to you holding a board book and
crawls onto your lap to be read to....

Melissa Proffitt