Steven Brust

Tue Jan 11 22:34:57 EST 2000

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 08:42:45 +0800 (WST), Paul Andinach wrote:

>On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, McMullin, Elise wrote:
>
>> 	Umm something about a gypsy (maybe even called Gypsy).  Some
>> janissarie one a long time ago... a couple of others all vague now
>> because I didn't finish them.  Was there a vampire-y noir thing?

I don't think so.  _Gypsy_ he wrote with Megan Lindholm.  Most of his books
are set in the universe of Vlad Taltos--a sort of faerieland seen from the
inside.  Sort of.  More of a hard-bitten assassin story.  Sort of.  He wrote
a couple of Alexandre Dumas pastiches set in the same universe, but about a
thousand years earlier.  They are just about perfect.  I'm waiting
impatiently for the third; they parallel the Three Musketeers novels.  I
think it would be interesting to read those first (_The Phoenix Guards_ and
_Five Hundred Years After_) and then look for how they're mentioned in the
Vlad Taltos books.

>> Not much to grab hold of there, eh?  If list members recommend a
>> couple, I'll look into them.
>
>I liked _Jhereg_.

It's a good starting place.  You can read the Taltos books in internal
chronological order, but he writes them deliberately as prequels--i.e. with
hints of things that you're supposed to recognize from having read "later"
events first.  _Yendi_ drove me nuts the first time I read it because there
are all sorts of things that SOUND as if there is another book you're
supposed to have read...but there isn't.  Just relax and let it sweep you
away.  :)

Melissa Proffitt