Madeleine Brent

Tue Jan 11 22:27:22 EST 2000

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 16:36:19 -0500, McMullin, Elise wrote:

>> Brent and Holt were my mind candy when I was a teenager; later I moved to
>> Regency romances rather than Victorian.
>>
>I never read Brent but I second that on the Holt mind candy.  Then there was
>a hiatus and I picked one up after a few years and found it unreadable.

I picked up one a few months ago called _Time of the Hunter's Moon_ just to
see if I still liked them.  This was TERRIBLE.  I don't mean the prose--I
mean the plot.  The male protagonist is this brute of a guy who woos the
heroine through violence and thinly disguised sexual overtures, along the
lines of "I know you really want it bay-bee".  Attempted rape as prelude to
True Love?  I don't think so.  And yet at the end there's all this garbage
about "we really understand each other" and "he's the only person I could
truly love" after he's undergone some kind of weak conversion of heart.
Gaaah.

Melissa Proffitt