collated comments: favorite authors (LONG!)

Tue Jan 11 16:21:59 EST 2000

>Arthur Ransome - Melissa
>--Nat: I love these in small doses, about one a year. I¹m in the middle of
>Winter Holiday now. The archetypal Good And Spirited English Children make
>me wonder sometimes, though.

What I like about them is that those kids get to do everything I wish I
could have done as a youngster--the kinds of things my brothers and I used
to pretend.  Rationally, there's no way our adventures would have turned out
the way they do in the books.  Everyone gets along too well and there aren't
any conflicts over who gets to be the leader.  But they're pretty much
fantasy, in the end.  Ransome has such a clear vision of what that country
looks like, how it feels to go sailing in the lake, etc., and that's what I
find myself reading for.

Melissa Proffitt