Julian May

Tue Jan 11 16:18:45 EST 2000

>Julian May - Philip
>---Elise: I loved the originality of the setting of the Mediterranean basin
>at the end of the Holocene, but after a while her characters really annoyed
>me.  It's been a long time but I'm game for a re-read in order to discuss.

The books I liked best were the _Intervention_ duology--I've since learned
that they were a single book split into two for mass marked PB publication
(_Surveillance_ and _Metaconcert_).  It deals with one of my favorite
subjects, the development of mental powers by a culture.  I like the
evolution from a few people who have to keep their abilities hidden to a
worldwide phenomenon.  Anne McCaffrey did something similar starting with
_To Ride Pegasus_, but the woman just doesn't know when to quit.  After _The
Rowan_ (and I much preferred the short story) it really started getting old.
But that's another subject.

Melissa Proffitt