_Understanding Comics_

Tue Jan 11 16:07:39 EST 2000

>Scott McCloud, UNDERSTANDING COMICS - Gili

I hadn't yet read this when the survey went round.  I read it last week and
was completely blown away.  What McCloud says about the art of comics is
really amazing--he's obviously thought a lot about it.  I was continually
struck by new insights.  I recommend reading this even if you don't think of
yourself as a comic book reader.  For one thing, he discusses what we would
call graphic novels--stuff by Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman, and so forth.  For
another, his analysis of the six levels of art applies equally well to
fiction writing and poetry and painting and just about any kind of art you
can think of.  It's very valuable reading, especially if you want to become
an artist (of any kind) yourself.

Melissa Proffitt