favourites list

R.K.Macrae-Gibson R.K.Macrae-Gibson at exeter.ac.uk
Tue Jan 11 10:15:59 EST 2000

Well it just goes to show that DWJ writes something for
everybody. I love these 3 titles (I just reread Dogsbody
last night). Maybe it's because they were amongst the 8 DWJ
titles that I had as a child & read & reread & made sure
that I had with me when I went off to university. I suppose
there's a difference between the books I read as a child
(the 'target audience'?) and DWJ's later titles which I
only read for the first time as an adult. Also these 3
titles have a very realistic 1970s feel (as do Wilkin's
tooth and Power of Three) which may not seem as 'relevant'
to the 2000 reader (?). There weren't as many DWJ titles to
choose from in 1978!
Oh, and I prefer A Sudden Wild Magic to Deep Secret as
well. I like both, but the latter seems more A to B (is
that because it was written for adults?), and as I've never
been to a convention, I'm sure I'm missing some of the
in-jokes. But I've yet to read a book of hers that I didn't
like.
That's enough rambling for now,
Rowena Macrae-Gibson