dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #118

Gili Bar-Hillel abhillel at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 11 04:39:05 EST 2000

Oh boy. Long long favorites list with many interesting bits I'd love to
respond too, but my head is swimming and I don't have time. I'd love to see
this list up on a webpage somewhere, with links from each author's name to
the comments.

I'll admit to having less favourite DWJ books. The one's I've liked least so
far have been "The Ogre Upstairs", "Eight Days of Luke", and "Dogsbody",
even though I liked that last one more upon recently rereading it. I did,
however, like "A Sudden Wild Magic", and I love "Power of Three" which not
everyone here seems to like.

Alexandra - loved your translation of the dog poem, I can't compare to the
original of course but it stands on its own. (just one sugestion/question:
perhaps "It's no use" instead of "It's in vain"? Since it's the not-smart
dogs speaking, so they can be more pedestrian?) It reminded me of one of my
favorite lines in a poem a friend of mine wrote about a friendless old man,
roughly: "When he passed, the neighbors would bark their dogs at him". My
friend published a book of his poems, and I was recently very gratified to
hear another friend mention him as her favorite young poet (she
mispronounced his name, so I know she's never met him.)

Gili