Recommended DWJ books?

Tue Jan 11 01:51:53 EST 2000

On Mon, 10 Jan 2000 22:32:07 +0100, Hallie O'Donovan wrote:

>Hey - so far you two are in the majority!  I'm the one admitting to not
>much liking a DWJ book ON THE LIST.  (Heresy.  Unsubscribe her.  FAIL her.
>Oh, sorry, slight nightmare attack.)

I don't much like _A Sudden Wild Magic_ either.  As long as we're admitting
heresies, anyway....It did improve for me on later re-readings, but it's
still not a big favorite.  Part of the problem was what Hallie said about
what's-his-name being so empty, and the explanation didn't make up for that
enough.  It's sort of like in _Howl's Moving Castle_ where it turns out that
Prince Justin has been split into several parts--when he's finally
reintegrated, he's a different and more complete person.  But I just never
liked the guy in _SWM_ and the woman seemed so unspeakably sappy.  (I can't
even remember their names, though that's mostly because I haven't read it
for a while.)  It wasn't that I thought there was anything wrong with the
story, and I liked a lot of what DWJ did with the magic and the different
worlds and even the story resolution.  It just doesn't appeal to me in the
way that some of her other books do.

Melissa Proffitt