Recommended DWJ books?

Sally Odgers sodgers at hotnet.net.au
Mon Jan 10 19:27:14 EST 2000

Re SUDDEN WILD MAGIC again:

> !

I rather like Mark; I think Hallie observed he was a pale copy of Rupert,
but I think he's pale because he's lacked Rupert's background... and
Marceny has to be one of the super bitch queens of fiction.

> I also think that Mark's computerised magic is more credible than
Rupert's.
> Although I like the adaptation of the disk drive - and I wish I could
modify
> computers like that!

Have you ever read WITCH BANK by Catherine Jinks? It's about witchcraft at
a merchant bank, and Jasper, one of the character, does his magic with
computers. I really enjoy that book; have read it four times, I think.
Catherine Jinks' "Pagan" series, beginning with "Pagan's Crusade" are her
award-winning and popular titles, but I don't like them nearly so much. Her
early stuff is run-of-the-mill (my opinion) and her later stuff is a bit
too clever for me, but Witch Bank is just right. Magic is tied up with
self-image. Heather, the protagonist, is invisible sometimes because she
feels unimportant and un-noticed. She learns to use this gift, but the
question at the end for me is, now she has self-worth, will she lost the
gift?

Sallyo.
They said the sea couldn't hold them
as they sailed from their cold north harbours
Vikings, bearded and laughing
men of the living sagas.
(SEAWRAITHS).