Homeschooling (was: Thomas Hardy)

Mon Jan 10 14:38:44 EST 2000

On Sun, 9 Jan 2000 22:39:25 -0800, Fen Eatough wrote:

>Melissa wrote:
>
>> There are SO many days when I think "if I sent all the kids to school,
>> eventually I'd have the house to myself!"
>
>Or you could just move back to Washington state and join a co-op <grin>.
>They're very popular here and while you'd still be teaching your kids (as
>well as those of a few other families), you wouldn't be doing it full time
>and the kids get a chance to work with other adults as well as a bit of
>socializing with other children.

Fen DELURKED!!!!

Hi Fen.

Well, we'll be moving back eventually.  Co-ops are tricky; you have to find
people who share the same basic values you do, and I mean the real basics.
Things like unschooling vs. organization, Christian vs. secular, even
discipline issues.  I like the idea, but the one time we tried it, it was
hard for me to want to teach the other people's kids.  Luckily our style is
free-form and easy to adapt, because we're still trying to work out what's
best.  Hmmm...I need to make sandwiches, put the boy to bed, and have a
lesson soon.  And at the moment I have no idea what the kids are doing.
Uh-oh.

Melissa Proffitt