Cheating (was: Re: Thomas Hardy)

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Mon Jan 10 13:16:58 EST 2000

Elise:

>    As far as my public (american style) school experience went,
> cheating did look a lot more interesting and thrilling than doing it
> straight, especially when it was all lists to be memorized - it was kind of
> a Bluebeard situation - here's the key but Never Use It!  But cheating on
> everything all the time, like I said, didn't do my classmate any favors in
> the long haul.

All together now, quote from Homeward Bounders (if someone can find the exact
words):

"Even now I'd rather do almost anything than learn a list."

>    There's a site called Ask The Headhunter, where the said headhunter
> really comes down on this approach of needing experience to get a job that
> will give you experience etc.    On the other hand, it can work to an
> applicant's advantage in that you can offer on the spot to demonstrate your
> competence in the position  - which I think would be a much more fun &
> useful interview experience than most of mine have been.  But I completely
> digress.

Thanks.  I shall have a look and pass this to a friend.

He is unemployed.  Why?  His skill is in electronic design.  His PhD is in
physics.  Employers all say no qualifications.  He can wave in front of them a
thesis that shows he did all the electronic design for the physics experiments
that his group were working on, and still they say he has no qualifications.
Because all his jobs so far have been research, in academia, the employers also
say he has no experience...  And he has now been unemployed for a couple of
years :-( :-(

Philip.

by those to whom it is addressed.

confirmation.