dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #114

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Mon Jan 10 13:09:57 EST 2000

> I think one of the things I really like about this list is the feeling I
> don't have to limit myself in being smart so as not to put off other people.
> I have always over-participated in classes, I just can't help myself, but
> people tend to interpret this as showing off. For once I feel that the
> people on this list are really my peers...

Overparticipate.  What a lovely word.  Yes, that's just what I did (and do!)

>>When I taught a class called "Reading and Interpreting" to a group of
>>English majors this summer, I asked everybody to tell a story about a time
>>when somebody disagreed with their interpretation of literature or when
>>somebody really liked it...

I seem to remember Jennifer saying that only one student had a happy story.
What was it?  I am fed up with all this gloom about lit. cri. classes (which I
have never had to attend, thankfully)! ;-)

> Not quite to the point: I once had an English teacher for English as a
> second language (for which I was by far overqualified to begin with, but it
> was the most advanced English class taught at my H.S. and no one was going
> to exempt me), who tried to teach us some spelling tricks, one of which was
> that all vegetables are spelled with double consonants: cabbage, lettuce,
> carrot, raddish...
>
> raddish?

Yes!  Like pottato, onnion, spinnach, parssnip, etc.  (Ppea?  Beann?
caulliflower? spprouts?)

What a twit that teacher must have been!  The only other one I can think of is
Fennel.  Broccoli is, too, but that's not really English :-)

> This is the same teacher that took off 2 points in an letter writing
> excercise I wrote as part of a very important exam, for the following
> sentence:
>
> "Every letter from you is just cause for a celebration"
>
> and changed it to:
>
> "Every letter from you is only cause for a celebration"

AAAAAugh!

This reminds me of the time my aunt ******** had one of her novels translated
into German.  She actually speaks pretty good German and she went through
several iterations of "no, what I really meant was..." before it was published.
And there are still mistakes.

> Thanks to all for kind words, and thanks to Philip for the hilarious poem...
> actually, the babelfish translation isn't that bad, considering it's
> machine-made... lol!

Yes, machine translation is getting better all the time.  But it is important
that the person who produces the finished text be a writer, not just someone who
can understand the original.  (Your contributions to this list suggest that you
fit that bill pretty well, Gili!)

> PAH, PAH, PAH! I AM SURROUNDED BY NINCOMPOOPS!

Aren't we all?

Philip.

by those to whom it is addressed.

confirmation.