About names, again...

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Mon Jan 10 12:24:30 EST 2000

Satu

> Earlier there was a lot of praise for the choice of personal names, many
> of which seem to have historical/ethymological/mythological backgrounds.
> But has any of you ever been - even slightly - irritated or bothered by
> any particular name in any of DWJ's books?
> There is one that bothered me when reading Deep Secret - Odile, the
> supposedly Finnish receptionist in the hotel Babel. Odile is, definitely,
> the sort of name that no Finn - whether male or female - would ever
> have!!!

Thankyou for that information.  A great weight off my mind.  I have been trying
and failing to pronounce that name as if it were Finnish, and now you have
reassured me that there is no Finnish pronunciation to find.

Not that I know any Finnish.  I don't get beyond "Kullervo Kalervon poika"
(although I seem to remember the next line is something about "lapsi" ...) :-)

I don't think any of DWJ's characters' names really bother me, but I always
thought "Miss Cadwallader" in Witch Week was a bit over the top.  Surprisingly,
I always have difficulty pronouncing "Chesney" - whether the S is silent or not.
But it doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the book.

Philip.

PS If I ever write a book (which will probably never happen), I am going to have
to find some way of including two Finns called Ismo and Osmo.  But tell me, has
it been done before?

by those to whom it is addressed.

confirmation.

+44 (0)2476 425474