Cheating (was: Re: Thomas Hardy)

McMullin, Elise emcmullin at kl.com
Mon Jan 10 11:39:40 EST 2000

> On Sat, 8 Jan 2000 13:40:32 +1100, Sally Odgers wrote:
>
> >> this kind of behavior?  Not to mention that if Grades Are
> >Everything...well,
>
> >Just as a matter of argument <g> has anyone considered that maybe
> cheating
> >in a test might be *sensible* for some people? It might be the bright
> thing
> >to do - to get what you need to go on to what you want to do.

Melissa replied:
	"Depends on the hurdle.  Depends on the requirement.  I just got
finished
> getting my new driver's license (for Utah).  The requirements for this, if
> you have a good record and a current license from some other state, are to
> stand in a really long line waiting for one of the two tellers to stop
> chatting with her neighbor, and then to take a short test on driving rules
> and regulations."

	I've stood in a really long line and when I've reached the head of
it, they looked at my forms and directed me to a second, even longer line.
My most heartfelt DMV sympathies to you!

	But it's so true that so many many things come with stupid and
pointless hoops to jump through.  Off the top of my head I can think of two
people who were told to forget their plans because of combinations of
mediocre grades and low standardized test scores.  Both of them refused to
be discouraged and both accomplished exactly what they set out to do and
very successfully too.  But so many people seem so married to complete faith
in the power and importance of the Hoops. pleh.

	As far as my public (american style) school experience went,
cheating did look a lot more interesting and thrilling than doing it
straight, especially when it was all lists to be memorized - it was kind of
a Bluebeard situation - here's the key but Never Use It!  But cheating on
everything all the time, like I said, didn't do my classmate any favors in
the long haul.

	"Employers will say they're looking for someone with a computer
science degree, or with so many years of experience in a certain field, but
that's because looking at the objective evidence is easier than
field-testing potential employees and evaluating their
> performance.  Hence the stupid unrelated tests, probably."

	There's a site called Ask The Headhunter, where the said headhunter
really comes down on this approach of needing experience to get a job that
will give you experience etc.    On the other hand, it can work to an
applicant's advantage in that you can offer on the spot to demonstrate your
competence in the position  - which I think would be a much more fun &
useful interview experience than most of mine have been.  But I completely
digress.

	Elise