dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #114

Sun Jan 9 23:58:20 EST 2000

On Sun, 09 Jan 2000 01:53:55 PST, Gili Bar-Hillel wrote:

>>	Melissa admitted:
>>
>>	"I was arrogant in the sense that I was hopelessly stuck up about being so
>>much smarter than my teachers.
>
>I think one of the things I really like about this list is the feeling I
>don't have to limit myself in being smart so as not to put off other people.

Oddly enough we just encountered this the other night at a church adults'
party.  They divided us up into groups to play party games--the sort of
goofy games where you're supposed to look like an idiot as a sort of ritual
bonding experience or something.  Jacob and I were grouped with a friend of
ours (another bright guy) and an older couple and their adult son to play a
variation on Charades that was timed for points--further split into two
teams, with us on one side and the family on the other.  The disparity in
intellectual quickness was painfully obvious.  I really hate being in these
situations.  It makes me want to pretend I'm not as smart as I am to avoid
hurting feelings.  And yet dividing the teams differently would have had the
same effect ("We know you're dumb, so we're going to split you up among the
smart people so you won't handicap yourselves.")  What to do, what to do....

Melissa Proffitt