[OT]: Title translation, was Re: Intro

Britta Koch bkoch at rz.uni-osnabrueck.de
Sun Jan 9 15:14:03 EST 2000

On  9 Jan, Paul Andinach wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Irina Rempt wrote:
>
>> Same thing with Dutch translations - they tend to be awful (and
>> nearly put me off DWJ, the translations of _Cart and Cwidder_ and
>> _The Spellcoats_ are just plain awful and that of _Eight Days of
>> Luke_ is quite extraordinarily awful, I'm glad nobody ever did any
>> others.
>
> On the other hand, the Dutch translator of Terry Pratchett novels is
> said to be brilliant (it's even said that the Dutch version of _Mort_
> is better than the original).
> I'd say that some authors have all the luck, but I can't because I've
> also heard about the German translations of PTerry's work...
>
> Paul

Fortunately, I only ever read Terry Pratchett in English... I think it
wouldn't be half as funny in German. Some books just have to be
English, I think... like The Hitch Hiker's Guide or Illumninatus...

Britta, whose anglophilia is running off again

--
  \ /   ASCII Ribbon Campaign
   X   - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail    britta at linuxchix.org
  / \  - NO Word docs in e-mail