Language

Irina Rempt ira at rempt.xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 9 10:55:58 EST 2000

On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Jacob Proffitt wrote:

> The interesting thing I find in German is that there are more root words
> with modifiers where the English uses an entirely new word.  My favorite
> example is 'stehen'  Check this out:
>
> Stehen:  to stand
> Verstehen: to understand (note that english also has 'stand' in there)
> Aufstehen:  to waken
> Auferstehen: to resurrect

That's because German is an inflecting language, and English is close
to being an isolating language. In fact English does the same thing,
but the words are written separately: "put up", "put up with", "put
off", "put out", to name a few.

   Irina

irina at rempt.xs4all.nl (myself) - http://valdyas.conlang.org (Valdyas)
        http://www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt/irina/index.html (home)