[OT]: Title translation, was Re: Intro

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Sun Jan 9 08:55:50 EST 2000

On Tue, 4 Jan 2000, Britta Koch wrote:

> Oh, and the best overall translation, in my opinion, is "The Lord of
> the Rings" - not so much because of the language (can't remember
> much about it), but because they translated the (Hobbit) names, as
> well (Bilbo Baggins became Bilbo Beutlin, Hobbiton Hobbingen etc.).

Possibly relevant:  Tolkien, aghast at some of the early attempts at
translating his work to other languages (one hobbit, IIRC, was said to
be living in a hole in somebody's trousers), wrote a special Guide To
Translating Middle-Earth Names that explained what the various names
meant. ("Hobbit: I made this one up, so it doesn't need translating.")

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."