Homeschooling (was: Thomas Hardy)

Irina Rempt ira at rempt.xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 7 14:13:33 EST 2000

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, McMullin, Elise wrote:

Melissa wrote:

> >"Do you even have the remotest question about why I'm
> > homeschooling my children?"
> >
> 	Good call, I say!  Definitely smaller classrooms and more
> teacher attention ;)

I wish I could (the Dutch school system is getting worse every year),
but it's not permitted in this country. Last night, we had my best
friend over who has a fourteen-year-old daughter, and she could tell
very scary stories about secondary school. I have smart kids too (one
is just ordinarily smart and the other two are quite extraordinarily
smart) and they're getting swamped by the system, because you have to
do things in well-defined blocks. The eldest is being pushed ahead
(in fact pushing herself ahead against the stream) but the blocks are
still the wrong shape, even if they're roughly the right size.

On the other hand, I've had them at home for two weeks and I'm glad
they're going back to school on Monday! :-)

   Irina

irina at rempt.xs4all.nl (myself) - http://valdyas.conlang.org (Valdyas)
        http://www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt/irina/index.html (home)