Recommended DWJ books?

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Fri Jan 7 11:10:00 EST 2000

Britta:

> After rereading all those books I vaguely remember from my childhood
> (Fire & Hemlock and The Power of Three), I'd like to start reading
> more of DWJ (and maybe discover a few more books I vaguely remember).
>
> I know I'll probably get as many answers as there are people on this
> list, but which of DWJ's books would you especially recommend? I like
> stories with strong female characters and do not go to school anymore...
> In the end I'll probably end up reading all of them, but which of
> those books to you consider to be a must-read-now!!! (or must-have-
> read-yesterday) for this list?

Right.  I can only really speak from a male point of view, but books with strong
female characters include:

(Adults)

Deep Secret
A Sudden Wild Magic (my favourite, but probably not a feminine book)
Howl's Moving Castle (well, she's 17, but she's considered adult in her society)

(Teenagers)

Time of the Ghost (seems to be a favourite of many females on this list)
Crown of Dalemark
The Spellcoats

(Younger)

Dogsbody
A Tale of Time City
Wild Robert

Books that have female characters playing a major part, but don't seem to
resonate so well:

Witch Week
Black Maria (or Aunt Maria if you get an American edition)

You may also enjoy the novella, The True State of Affairs, to be found in the
collection Minor Arcana.  One of the more difficult DWJs, I've found, but boy
does it have a strong female character!

Philip.

by those to whom it is addressed.

confirmation.