dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #113

Rainio Tarja Tarja.Rainio at hartwall.fi
Fri Jan 7 04:52:25 EST 2000

On Thu, 6 Jan 2000 10:09:51 -0500 Alexandra wrote:

> Speaking of hideous covers, I read Sorcery and Cecelia (lovely book) a
> while ago, and I almost didn't take it out of the library when I saw the
> cover--two anatomically incorrect [head too large, neck too short, like an
> Alice in Wonderland illustration gone terribly, terribly wrong] women in
> luridly coloured gowns facing one another in a garden at night; one of
> them is spewing lightning from her fingertips, and in the background, a
> human-faced tree is wringing its hands/branches, as it well might.  I
> returned the thing last week, but I can still see it now, gleaming away.
> Why is it that delicious books should suffer from such aesthetic iniquity?

I have to agree with you on the hideousness of that cover (I even own the
book in that edition... Maybe I could tape some nice paper over it or
something ;)). Still, it's not just good books that suffer from this
particular "artist's" (Darrell Sweet) work, he's also done the covers for
the neverending Wheel of Time series by Jordan. A few years ago there was
even a longlasting thread in the rec.arts.sf.written newsgroup on cover art
and Sweet's covers in particular and many people thought that he should be
banned from making any more covers since he always does those anatomically
incorrect big-headed people in them. Ok, enough rambling on cover art.

Congratulations on you translation, Gili. And welcome to the list Britta.

Tarja