Dark Lord in paperback/Various musings

alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca
Thu Jan 6 10:09:51 EST 2000

Speaking of hideous covers, I read Sorcery and Cecelia (lovely book) a
while ago, and I almost didn't take it out of the library when I saw the
cover--two anatomically incorrect [head too large, neck too short, like an
Alice in Wonderland illustration gone terribly, terribly wrong] women in
luridly coloured gowns facing one another in a garden at night; one of
them is spewing lightning from her fingertips, and in the background, a
human-faced tree is wringing its hands/branches, as it well might.  I
returned the thing last week, but I can still see it now, gleaming away.
Why is it that delicious books should suffer from such aesthetic iniquity?

In rhethorical indignation,

Alexandra