Thomas Hardy (was: Re: survey results, part 1)

McMullin, Elise emcmullin at kl.com
Wed Jan 5 16:56:53 EST 2000

	Melissa commented on Tess:

	"I think she's also giving Angel a second chance to finally be a
good person, the slimy jerk."

	Now I remember how Mrs. B. (the teacher) tied her whole thing
together.  Angel was the Christ figure (oi) and you know, hung with the
miserable sinner and so on, and in the end she like recognized her
unworthiness of the mercy of her savior thus commending her sister into his
hands, an unselfish act, showing a recognition of all this on her part.
It's nice to realize it all was truly mindboggling.  This whole conversation
reminds me of Instance of the Fingerpost by Ian Pears.  Anyway, I went to
public school.  Can ya believe it?

	"(There's a scene where he sees Tess at the dairy, and she's just
woken up, and he
> compares her red lips and tongue (she's yawning) to that of a
> snake--implying the tempter of the Garden of Eden.  I really wanted him to
> be real so I could whack him with a two-by-four.)"

	Of all the nerve! But I've recently been favoring justice by
imagined reincarnation - in my version Angel is reincarnated several times
as a mild, unassuming, unbelievably attractive, constantly harrassed woman.
That'll learn him.

	"I took my first literary criticism class when I was twelve, taught
by
> an excellent teacher who NEVER told us what any of our books meant.  I
> didn't realize how good this was till much later."

	That's a great teacher.  If you know where that teacher is, I
encourage you to write a letter of thanks if you never have - just for being
a great teacher.

	"See, your interpretation was a good one!  But it sounds like (from
your
> other post) you didn't have much choice other than to shut up.  I hate
> that.
> That's not teaching, that's indoctrination.  And there's never been a
> teacher who couldn't learn something from the students."

	Mainly my school experience was along these lines - memorization and
parroting back.  As anybody can tell from this list  ;), I am constantly
misplacing specifics and going vague.  It was he**.  I remember we had this
ridiculous test on Pride and Prejudice, which I must have read at least 10
times by then, and one of the questions was - "How far was it from the
Bennet's house to Meryton" (or whatever the town was).  This test was to
"prove you read the book."  It's mentioned in one line, once, when the
Bennet girls first walk in to town.  My teacher's comment, "If you read
every line you should know that.  You probably skimmed."  Argh.  lol, it's
very good to not be free of that.

	Elise