dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #112

Hallie O'Donovan hallieod at indigo.ie
Tue Jan 4 17:31:04 EST 2000

 Translating always
>fascinates me, because I don't know how literal it can be.
<snip>... and as for poetry, I can't see how that can be much like the
>original, what with words not rhyming and being of different lengths.

Oh yes, we have a special pet peeve about a translation of an Irish poem
called Pangur Ban.  My father did a really good translation of it
<unbiasedly>  but the version seen most often we rudely call "Twinkle,
Twinkle, Little Cat".  It starts:
        I and Pangur Ban my cat,
        'Tis a like task we are at...

*Nothing* like the rhythm of the original.

Er, DWJ.  Right.  Well, I take your word for the horror of translations of
her books into other languages....

Hallie
hallieod at indigo.ie