dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #112

Sally Odgers sodgers at hotnet.net.au
Tue Jan 4 18:04:20 EST 2000

> On a seperate note, my Harry Potter translation is finally in stores -
such
> a thrill to see my name in print in a book, even if I'm only the
translator!

Congratulations, Gili; I hope they paid you well! Translating always
fascinates me, because I don't know how literal it can be. Puns don't
translate well and as for poetry, I can't see how that can be much like the
original, what with words not rhyming and being of different lengths. And
idioms don't always repeat from language to language.

Sallyo.
They said the sea couldn't hold them
as they sailed from their cold north harbours
Vikings, bearded and laughing
men of the living sagas.
(SEAWRAITHS)