Intro

Jacob Proffitt Jacob at Proffitt.com
Mon Jan 3 18:44:27 EST 2000

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000 10:42:50 +0100 (CET), Britta Koch wrote:

>I've been studying Computational Linguistics and Artificial Intelligence
> in Osnabrueck for 2 years.

Osnabrueck sounds familiar.  Where is that?  I spent two years in Germany,
but was mainly in the north (farthest south I got was Goettingen).

>I'm not sure which books by DWJ I have already read - it's difficult to
>find out by German titles, and somehow I tend to mix up the books I've
>read... so I'll be careful and suppose that I'm the one who has read
>the least DWJ books on this list! (But I did read "Tess" ;)

Translation of titles is always interesting.  I've often wondered why a
straight translation doesn't seem to be very popular.  I noticed it mostly
with Movies ("Ferris Macht Blau" being the worst example I can think of for
a stupid movie title translation), but I've seen it with books, too.  I've
noticed it isn't universal, though.  The titles for David Edding's books are
pretty straightforward, for example.

Someone once explained that it's the distribution company that determines
the titles based on what they think will appeal to the target audience.
Since publishers typically chose the titles (usually in spite of everything
the author might think) based on the same reasoning, I suppose that isn't
too surprising.

Jacob Proffitt