Christian Morgenstern

alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca
Mon Feb 28 17:43:38 EST 2000

Philip wrote:
"I am trying to set some of Morgenstern's work to music.  My title, "Wie
schoen leuchtet der Morgenstern" is the first line of a well-known German
hymn -I like to think Morgenstern would have approved..."

This sounds like such a marvellous project--just think what splendid fun
it would be, running around singing "Sophie mein Henkersmaedel" to
oneself.  (I've been trying it with a kind of Mireille Mathieu ripoff
tune :)

Henker, too, is such a good word--you can really hear the "thunk" of the
axe in it.

Alexandra
(who thinks Morgenstern marvellous and feels she should read some soon)