dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #135

Devra at aol.com Devra at aol.com
Sat Feb 26 17:29:03 EST 2000

In a message dated 2/10/00 9:27:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
owner-dwj-digest at suberic.net writes:

>  For that
>  > matter, what is a "bap"?
>
>  A roundish soft white bread roll. (At least that's what the baker
>  called those when I was living in Salisbury, Wiltshire, in the late
>  nineteen-seventies).
Ah, it pays to read the old authors.  In one of her Alan mysteries (The
Singing Sands, maybe?) Josephine Tey has a long discussion about how a proper
bap has a nice solid, chewy consistency-- like a proper bagel, I'd say--
where you sink your teeth in and there's a serious contest as to  which will
win, the teeth or the bap--but then you have a really good mouthful to work
on!  So apparently she felt baps shouldn't be soft, and that modern
degeneracy was producing baps with no bop!  Like Lenders' frozen pseudobagels.

Devra, who is reading about 6 dwj digests one after another, and serioulsy
thinking she needs a cheese danish snack RIGHT now.

Devra Langsam
www.poisonpenpress.com
devra at aol.com