Ramblings By Becca

JOdel at aol.com JOdel at aol.com
Thu Feb 24 13:29:16 EST 2000

In a message dated 2/24/00 5:25:56 AM, sodgers at hotnet.net.au writes:

<< Or maybe you'd like "Admir'd Venetia" - >>

It's actually just called "Venetia" and does have an undramatic (but
entertaining) plot, but the purest distilation of several of Heyer's
character types.

"Frederica" has one of the best ensemble of "family" characters and about the
best balance between hero and heroine's viewpoints. It has just been
reprinted here in the U.S.  so may be findable at present.

I'll have to beg off from the Sophie Stanton-Lacey fan club. It is a fun
book, and she's a good example of a type which was popular when the book came
out. But it isn't a type I admire, much as I can recognize the necessity for
it's development viv-a-vis the social viewpoints of the time--which I
deplore. Too much of a manipulator to my point of view, and not part of the
solution, in that her triumphs tend to underscore the social contract that a
(clever) woman can "win" only if she can be observed to cheat.

But that was in another country, and besides the wench is dead. Oh temporary!
Oh mores!...