Golden Witchbreed

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Thu Feb 24 10:49:37 EST 2000

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Britta Koch wrote:

> > Anyway, we are usually taught that Warlock is the male equivalent
> > of Witch, rather than the more obvious Wizard.
>
> So that is what warlock means? I always pictured a sort of
> warrior-mage (because of the "war") ;)

It's from the Old English "waerloga", meaning "oath breaker".
Consequently, it's got some nasty connotations, and as well as "male
witch", it can also be used to mean "demon".

People who use it to mean male witches/magic users inclusive of those
who don't serve Dark Powers have probably been misled by examples of
usage from back in the days when it was taken for granted that
witch == evil.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."