Ramblings By Becca

Philip.Belben at pgen.com Philip.Belben at pgen.com
Thu Feb 24 10:42:35 EST 2000

Sally, quoting Becca:

>> Mummy Dearest has just finished reading The Grand Sophy to me. I thought
>
> no, no, you can't be Miss Wraxton. You'd have to be one of Charles's little
> sisters... (ducking for cover). Did you like the scene where Sophie

No, no, Sally.  You have no right to make that sort of decision.  Besides, I'm
likely to be Lord Bromford, and I think I ought to have some say over who plays
the girl I end up with... (Well, perhaps not)

> bamboozles the money-lender? It's not politically correct but of course
> Georgette Heyer was writing many years ago when attitudes were different.

No, it's not politically correct to call a moneylender a Jew, simply because
he's a moneylender, but it is authentic for the period.  I'm not much of a
stickler for authenticity myself, but it takes priority over political
correctness every time.  Actually, I rather liked the portrayal of the loan
shark who is doing a lot of dodgy moneylending - high risk but very lucrative,
if the law doesn't get you first...

> THE UNKNOWN AJAX sometime. That one has another lovely bamboozling scene.

The whole _book_ is a bamboozling scene!

Which reminds me, does anyone know where to find the poem from which all the
quotes in Unknown Ajax are taken?

> Or maybe you'd like "Admir'd Venetia" - the plot's a bit slight but there
> are quotes falling like brightness from the air... and if you can tell me
> where *that* misquotation comes from, I'll send you one of my books as a
> present...

:-)  No, I don't know - but don't confuse her by misquoting the title too.  The
book is called Venetia, and I really love it.

Philip.

by those to whom it is addressed.

confirmation.

+44 (0)2476 425474