Golden Witchbreed

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Thu Feb 24 06:15:59 EST 2000

Britta, quoting me:
>>The other thing I find offputting, since you mention it, is the use of the
title
>>Hexenmeister.  Why this isolated German word?  (= master of witches)  Is it
>>supposed to be a native word - in which case why choose a German word so close
>>in meaning? - or a translation - in which case why German, of all languages?
It
>>sticks out like a sore thumb...  The only thing I can think of is that she may
>>be using a different Earth language as a way of showing that it is a different
>>Orthean language.  In which case, I see what she means - I just don't happen
>>like it.
>
> OK, we're back to translations  again ;)
>
> I haven't read the book, but Hexenmeister would be something like a male
witch(as opposed
> to Zauberer = sorceror). Is there another word for "male witch" in English? If
not, maybe the
> author chose Hexenmeister because it might convey the picture of a male witch
better than "male witch"...

Male witch?  You mean Hexenmeister = master of witchcraft?

I hope this is not too much of a spoiler, but in Witch Week, when Charles says
he intends to remain a witch, and won't do anything to help, Person whose Name I
Disdain to Say replies "Warlock is the usual word for someone who messes around
the way you do."

Anyway, we are usually taught that Warlock is the male equivalent of Witch,
rather than the more obvious Wizard.

But Warlock makes even less sense for this character, I think.  I'll have to
think about this next time I read it.

Philip.

PS I don't really disdain to say that name - it's just a way of quoting one book
to avoid a spoiler in another

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

Nottingham, NG11 0EE, UK