Book IDs (a longish delurk)

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Wed Feb 23 12:45:14 EST 2000

Anita on Paula Volsky (whom I've never encountered before):

> And to wrench this back to DWJ:
>
> The Luck of Relian Kru pulled me into its story with some charming
> imaginative gimmicks. It starts in a land where colour is not just
> significant but very significant. The hero's clothes choices (green, grey,
> black and white?) signify a startling and unusual insult to his host. (Darn,
> haven't got the book here to quote from).

Sounds like the Durdane trilogy by Jack Vance.  This has extensive "colour lore"
in the background.  (Example: Red is the colour of invisibility.  Things
intended to be ignored are painted red...  well weird!)

> The book continues with other interesting events, characters and ideas,
> including some DWJish slants (Relian Kru's lifelong bad luck is attributed
> to his supernatural talents never being recognised, and hence twisting
> themselves).
>
> It occurred to me that in the debate over Harry Potter vs. Witch Week (for
> example) that HP wins because the book is stuffed to the gills with
> charming, attractive gimmickry (the jellybeans, quidditch) - and it is this
> which the young readers are hooked on. The plot and storyline get them
> later.
>
> In contrast, Witch Week is far more grey and everyday in the atmosphere
> surrounding its characters. They lack pleasant excitements...

Notwithstanding Elise's excellent comments, I think there is a fundamental
difference in that the school in Witch Week is not intended for educating magic
users...  Perhaps the other Chrestomanci books would be a more appropriate
comparison.

To me the concept of a school for magically gifted children is inextricably
linked with "The Little Broomstick" by Mary Stewart - a copy of which I still
haven't got, and I haven't read it for years, so I can't say much more, except
that I seem to recall a similarity in plot of the protagonist, not previously
aware of the magical community, finding herself enrolled at this school...

I agree about the gimmicry.  I get the impression that JKR has sacrificed some
of the inegrity of the fantasy world in order to make it attractive to the mass
market - something that DWJ would never do.

On the other hand, gimmicry would have been so out of place in Witch Week - it's
not an approach that would have worked for that story.

Philip.

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

Nottingham, NG11 0EE, UK