Book IDs (a longish delurk)

Anita Graham amgraham at cygnus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Feb 23 00:36:36 EST 2000

Returning to an old topic:

> From: owner-dwj at suberic.net [mailto:owner-dwj at suberic.net]On Behalf Of
> Abigail Gawith
>
> My taste in books doesn't seem to tally too well with most of
> yours.  In the
> realms of fantasy and science fiction, my favourite contemporary authors
> (other than DWJ) are Barbara Hambly, Connie Willis, Robin Hobb, Sheri
> Tepper, Tim Powers, Barry Hughart, Rosemary Kirstein, Laurell K. Hamilton,
> Simon R. Green, Paula Volsky, David Feintuch (although I didn't
> care for his
> foray into fantasy) and Lois McMaster Bujold.

Remembering this post, I bought a Paula Volsky book (secondhand). It was
"The Luck of Relian Kru", which I did enjoy and maybe I'll reread to see if
there's even more to it.

What other Paula Volsky books do you recommend? I see them new and
secondhand (and some are very, very thick!)

And to wrench this back to DWJ:

The Luck of Relian Kru pulled me into its story with some charming
imaginative gimmicks. It starts in a land where colour is not just
significant but very significant. The hero's clothes choices (green, grey,
black and white?) signify a startling and unusual insult to his host. (Darn,
haven't got the book here to quote from).

The book continues with other interesting events, characters and ideas,
including some DWJish slants (Relian Kru's lifelong bad luck is attributed
to his supernatural talents never being recognised, and hence twisting
themselves).

It occurred to me that in the debate over Harry Potter vs. Witch Week (for
example) that HP wins because the book is stuffed to the gills with
charming, attractive gimmickry (the jellybeans, quidditch) - and it is this
which the young readers are hooked on. The plot and storyline get them
later.

In contrast, Witch Week is far more grey and everyday in the atmosphere
surrounding its characters. They lack pleasant excitements...

Just some thoughts,

Anita