Golden Witchbreed

Tanaqui tweaver at imbolc.ucc.ie
Tue Feb 22 22:19:23 EST 2000

Philip:

+ (1) the book is set on the planet Orthe.
+ (2) The edition I was reading has in the front a one-line review by
+     DWJ herself.
+ (3) This edition was published before DWJ wrote Sudden Wild Magic.  Could the
+ Pentarchian province of that name be related to this book?

There is nothing but the name in common. Given that Gentle uses a whole bundle
of very obscure names in her work (Havoth-jair, Havoth-jair, hm, oh my gods it's
a Biblical place!), she and DWJ might just be using the same sources. The
Pentarchian place has no notion of the n'ri n'suth relationship binding people
together with familial and telestre links.

I find Golden Witchbreed a pretty good travelogue, and a good book when taken
with its sequel, Ancient Light. The time perspective of the later book (10
years subjective, with a direct view of that ancient Empire and subsequent
major events recorded by all the Hexenmeisters), as well as the unspeakable
tragedy of the Golden death-obsessed nature... really well-built.

Carrick V feels like a real world, and has real people.

Tanaqui