Dark Lord of Derkholm (SPOILER)

Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk
Tue Feb 15 13:09:45 EST 2000

Elise, quoting Alexandra:

>    "Who were people's favourites, if there was such a thing?"
>
>    I liked the demon.  Not a personal affection, but I thought his
> nature and effect on people were fascinating.
>
>    I liked Kit and Elda a lot too.  I liked how teen they were - and
> struggling with accepting themselves (and each other) as individuals.
>
>    I loved the pocket universes - would have liked to hear more about
> that!  And I loved the disappearing harem girls - great!

Yes, yes and yes.  But my favourite character has to be Scales.  Definitely and
100%.  I don't at all blame Lydda for getting a crush on him (have I said this
before?) but he should learn not to encourage her so much - it can only lead to
disappointment...

I don't see him as like Miss Smith or Mrs Whittaker, but I agree he's very like
Dr Wilander!  Well spotted whoever that was.

I also liked Calette because she's a geek like me.  Although apparently rather
better at it...

I claim DWJ borrowed the demon from Ted Mallory in Deep Secret (look at the
conversation where Maree and [was it Rick Corrie?] discuss Mallory's demons!)

> And the professional team Mr. whats-his-name showed up with - too funny to
> me who works with suits all day - evoked quite the subversive laugh from me.
> Oh and the two tourist couples who were oh-so ha!  (stricken inarticulate) -
> The one who refused to give over her earth-type amenities - just hysterical.
> And the other who kept falling of her horse. Ha!  And that dwj put in that
> the girls always go for the wizards - lol!

Oh, absolutely.  I think DWJ was really clever here.  Because she couldn't set
the story in a "world of high reality like Arth or its parent universe, the
Pentarchy", she made the setting very artificial, but peopled it with 100% real
characters.  Their characteristics are exaggerated almost to the point of
parody, but she still makes them come over as very real people.

> But I don't know if really anything can beat the leathery winged avians for
> me.  I recently saw a movie trailer about a spaceship crew stranded on a
> planet and menaced by ----- leathery winged avians!  Had a very difficult
> time restraining myself.

Love it!  I'll have to look out for these!

> Ooh, and I liked how the lavender lady dragon was actually disappointing as
> a "person."  I liked that dispelling of glamour.
>
> And I just thought it was sooo hysterical how the Enchantress's Lair was
> turned into this activist/consciousness raising thing - hee!

Yes - and through just such an enchantment as one might expect, too!

Philip.

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

Nottingham, NG11 0EE, UK