Dark Lord of Derkholm

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Sat Feb 12 08:43:39 EST 2000

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000 alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca wrote:

> > > And Oh the Characters!  I shall stop myself here, or I'll
> > > rhapsodize for hours.  Who were people's favourites, if there
> > > was such a thing?
> >
> > Not sure. Definitely not the snake lady, though.
>
> Not a pleasant person at all!  And nasty to contemplate, too.  All
> that ruthless efficiency.  But I liked her as a character--very
> vivid and well rounded, what with mannerisms and little
> self-indulgent habits.

Oh, she's a good character. Just not a very nice one. :)

I feel she got exactly what she deserved in the end, which was good.

> > The character who ended up becoming Blade's magic teacher (dodging
> > a spoiler here) reminded me somewhat of Vivian's tutor in _A Tale
> > of Time City_.
>
> Yes!  And a little bit of Christopher Chant's tutor, too, "that
> appalling fat man."

Him too.

Given DWJ's admission to having used real people in her books, I find
myself wondering if she ever had a teacher like that.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."