Dark Lord of Derkholm

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Fri Feb 11 06:34:38 EST 2000

On Thu, 10 Feb 2000 alexandra.bolintineanu at utoronto.ca wrote:

> (the Griffin Library actually goes by the more sedate appellative of
> 'Lillian H. Smith', but its tall arched entrance is guarded by two
> splendid griffin statues on either side. Oh, how I love that place.)

Lucky you. Our local library is called "William Grundt", and it's not
got any statues of any description. Or even any interesting
architecture.

> And Oh the Characters!  I shall stop myself here, or I'll rhapsodize
> for hours.  Who were people's favourites, if there was such a thing?

Not sure. Definitely not the snake lady, though.

> (And did Scales remind people of Polly's grandmother, and the old
> lady who cared for Sirius, or was that just my impression?)

I'm not sure.

The character who ended up becoming Blade's magic teacher (dodging a
spoiler here) reminded me somewhat of Vivian's tutor in _A Tale of
Time City_.

And Derk reminded me of somebody, but I've forgotten who.
Quentin Sykes, probably, but not just him - someone else as well.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."