Book IDs (a longish delurk)

Erin McMullin erm8 at psu.edu
Fri Feb 4 04:33:07 EST 2000

Ok, I thought I would actually give a voice to the name.  Yes, I'm Elise's
sister, though don't expect quite so many well written emails from me!

This is a reply to Abigails book list from a few days ago:

>Then there are authors by whom I like *some* work:
>"Children of the Dust" by Louise Lawrence, although maybe "like" isn't the
>word, and "This Time of Darkness" and "Children of Morrow" by H.M. Hoover.
>(I've heard that there was a sequel to the latter, but I've never been able
>to find it.  Is she really still writing?  In which country?)

I'm so happy to hear someone mention her name!  I was an HM Hoover addict
as a child, and must have reread "Children of Morrow" eight or ten times.
I think there is a sequel, and I think I've read and reread that one also,
but I can't for the life of me remember what it is. I'm sure I'll think of
it. . .

And while I'm at it, I'll let you all know my own favorite DWJ books - The
Power of Three (which may be a favorite simply because I only found it 2 or
3 times when I was about 11, and haven't seen a copy since), Dogsbody, and
Spellcoats. Oh, and of course Fire & Hemlock.  Those three I've read MANY
times.  I found Homeward Bounders very disturbing, and though I have a copy
sitting on my shelf, I can't seem to bring myself to reread that one.  The
Ogre Downstairs I enjoyed quite a bit, but found the antagonism between the
stepdad and kids uncomfortable, even when I was a kid.  Magicians of
Caprona is another very worthwhile one.  And and and...

Other childhood favorites -  Joan Aiken (Go Saddle the Sea, and those odd
books with Dido), Susan Cooper, Robin McKinley... I'm biased against
Patricia McKillip because I have more than once picked up a book of hers
because I thought she was Robin McKinley, and was then very disappointed
that she wasn't.  Oh - Jane Yolen, Joan D Vinge.  That's all I can remember
at the moment, though I am sure I'm missing some very important ones.  I'm
involved at the moment in the very time-consuming and VERY unliterary
pursuit of a graduate degree in biology, and, sadly, many of the books I
choose to read these days serve more as brain candy television replacements
(very silly mystery novels and period romances, I'm sad to say!)  Maybe
I'll be inspired by this list to begin excersizing my brain again(the
non-science portion).  If you happen to have any questions regarding
biology, though...

>Anyone who liked "The Princess Bride" should read "One for the Morning
>Glory" by John Barnes, published in the US about four years ago.  It's
>delightful, all the more so if you have a love of words - for instance, I
>believe his characters duel one another with the fearsome weapon known as
>the "pismire".  Anyone who's not grinning should run for a dictionary.

That was a wonderful and unexpected book, with a definitely novel plot
twist (the invisible body)! Gave me a lot of practical things to puzzle
over, such as 'how can he keep his balance if there is only half of him?'
'what does it feel like when he walks' etc.  See, I told you I'm a science
person!

>Finally, did anyone else read the January issue of Fantasy & Science Fiction
>magazine?  Charles de Lint winds up his review of the Harry Potter books as
>follows: "... In fact the only thing that surprises me about the Harry
>Potter books is why they've been so readily embraced by such a wide spectrum
>of readers, while Diana Wynne Jones, who's been doing this also, and with as
>much warmth and skill, for so many years, is still best known only within
>the fantasy and young adult fields.

I've wondered that myself, yet I find that I'm reluctant to have my
personal-favorite-best-ever-so-amazing childhood author being sold in large
end of shelf stacks at Barnes & Noble, and being the one name all people
know in children's literature, and being banned in US schools because of
the magic and strange families....  By the way, I was at our B&N yesterday,
and they only had one DWJ book, The Many Live of Christopher Chant. This is
a new occurence: a few months ago they had no DWJ books on their shelf, so
I complained to the Children's section bookseller. Progress?  So I don't
want her known, yet I want her known.  yup. Can't there be a middle ground?

Well, I suppose I've managed to introduce myself in good form - this
message is much longer than I intended!  Now you know who is lurking....

~ erin