OT: Toasted Cheese etc. (LONG)

Thu Feb 3 16:23:08 EST 2000

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000 18:03:52 +0000, Philip.Belben at powertech.co.uk wrote:

>A griddle that will take eight sandwiches?  That is definitely bigger than
>anything I've seen over here.

Well, we do seem to go for Bigger is Better over here.  :)  Even when you're
not living in the great Republic of Texas.  Eight is exactly enough to feed
our little family; before we had kids, we just did them in a frying pan and
that worked fine.

>> (Is it true that appliances in the UK and Europe are generally smaller than
>> those in the US?  This is just something I've noticed here and there, in
>> watching TV shows.  Like on "As Time Goes By" they have this teeny little
>> refrigerator that fits under the countertop, but mine is a 21 cubic foot
>> monster that will easily accommodate eight gallon jugs of milk on the top
>> shelf.)

>I would estimate that my fridge could fit inside yours if you took the shelves
>out.  It is not an under-the-worktop model, since it incorporates a real
>freezer, and that would be just too small, but it stands only 5ft tall... even
>allowing for your gallons being smaller than ours, I don't think I've ever seen
>an 8-gallon jug of milk - or do you mean eight 1-gallon jugs?  I buy four UK
>pints at a go and that lasts me nearly a week.

Yes, eight 1-gallon jugs.  Not that we ever buy that many at a time, just an
illustration.  We go through, um, about three gallons every four days.  (We
drink a LOT of milk around here.)

>>>   But to return, bagels are certainly a great grilled cheese option,
>>>but my current experiments would overflow the bagel too much.
>>
>> My favorite bagel recipe is lightly toasted, thickly spread with cream
>> cheese and topped with tomatoes (and a light sprinkling of pepper and salt).
>> This is adapted from Madeleine L'engle's _A Wrinkle in Time_ where they eat
>> tomato and cream cheese sandwiches--I find that bagels are hardier than
>> bread when it comes to spreading not-quite-softened cream cheese.
>
>Bagels.  Hmm.  When I encountered them first in New York 2 years ago, I had
>never seen them in England at all.  They are now beginning to gain popularity,
>and Morrison's even sell that most American of breads, the English Muffin!

Hee hee hee.  I love that they're called "english" muffins.  Don't know why,
though.

I remember when I was a child, bagels were not commonly found outside the
East.  I first had them when I lived in New York State--then we moved away.
And after a few years you could get them everywhere....

>> I think there might be one brownie left in the pan upstairs....
>
>Those we do have, but we generally call them "chocolate brownies" rather than
>(as I understand the US term to be) "fudge brownies", since fudge doesn't imply
>chocolate in the UK to the same extent it does in the US

There are two kinds of brownie--"fudge" and "cake."  The difference is in
the consistency; fudge brownies (which I prefer) are moister and more gooey
than cake brownies.  It's assumed that they're generally chocolate, though.
(Another version is the "blondie" which we just discovered--same product,
but made with white chocolate.  Very yummy with maple sauce and vanilla ice
cream.)

I should definitely not be discussing food when I haven't eaten lunch yet.

Melissa Proffitt