Letter Writing

Wed Feb 2 12:36:19 EST 2000

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000 11:41:28 -0500 , McMullin, Elise wrote:

>I've been thinking of writing dwj for some months now.  I think I will do so
>soon.  Thanks to Sally for warning me on what to avoid!  I am thinking I
>will break the letter out into addressing different aspects of her books and
>writing process.... What have others done?

I met Patricia McKillip at a fantasy symposium some years ago, and she was
kind enough to give me her address.  I didn't write to her very much--we're
both too shy, I think**--but one of the letters was about her (then) most
recent book.  It was the first one she had out in the small-hardback format,
_The Book of Atrix Wolfe_, and I mentioned how much I admired the cover art
and asked why the new format (these are hardcover books barely larger than
the typical mass-market paperback).  I also made some comments on things I
liked in the story, and I included a review I'd read online that reflected
some of my own opinions.  She responded very favorably, and was especially
pleased to get the review--I get the feeling that authors like to see
positive reviews of their stuff in print.  It was a nice conversation.

**I know, you're all thinking:  "You? SHY?!?!"  It's unfortunately true,
though I hide it well by being extremely brash.  But especially when I'm
talking to authors, I start babbling.  I babbled to Katherine Kurtz and to
Lois McMaster Bujold and to Orson Scott Card.  Very embarrassing.  I think
Elizabeth Moon was the first famous author I was able to talk to without
sounding like a loon, and that was probably because she's very easy to talk
to and because Jacob was there being sane for both of us.

Melissa Proffitt