Finux, was: Book IDs (a longish delurk)

Satu S Hlinovsky skanervi at cc.helsinki.fi
Wed Feb 2 10:01:47 EST 2000

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Britta Koch wrote:

> >> Britta, wanting OrdoEmacs and wondering "why Finux?"
> >
> >Why not? As you may already know, the 'father' of Linux, Linus Thorvalds,
> >happens to be Finnish...
>
> Yes, I know all that, using only Linux at home, but he mentions Windows NT and a few other OSs by their proper name,
> and then makes up a name for the coolest one ;)

Well, there may be several reasons for it. One of them certainly is, that
all the technical details concerning Finux mentioned in the book were not
exactly identical with the corresponding features of Linux, and if they
had used the rael name, some of the true Linux fans might have cried out
:'No, it's not like that at all...'