dwj-digest (Diana Wynne Jones) V1 #133

Paul Andinach pandinac at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Feb 2 09:01:17 EST 2000

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Sally Odgers wrote:

[what to say in fan letters]

> And try to mention a recent book ... a pet hate with some writers is
> someone quoting their first or second book, out of print for 15
> years, as their best! We all like to think we improve, no?

In one of Tom Holt's recent novels, there's a character who gained
sadistic pleasure from going to book signings and telling the authors
that their latest book isn't quite up to their early work, and what a
pity they don't write them like that any more...
...when we meet him, he's roasting in the flames of hell, reading _The
Colour of Magic_ for the five hundred millionth time.

Paul
--
"Hold fast to the one noble thing."